EXTENDED Papers Submission Deadline: January 24, 2020
Disrupting the Sales Force: Technology, Globalization, and the Changing Nature of Work.
The Global Sales Science Institute (GSSI) Conference is a unique gathering of international scholars and practitioners interested in sharing and advancing cutting edge professional selling and sales management practices, research, and education. In keeping with its title, the GSSI Conference is held in a different country every year. This year marks the 14th year that the conference has been held.
The 2020 GSSI Conference will be co-hosted by University School of Management (IAE Montpellier University) and the Thurmond Negotiation Lab, Strome College of Business, Old Dominion University, and will be held in Montpellier, France.
In addition to scientific research, the conference will address best practices in sales education, making the conference an excellent venue for sales educators looking for professional development opportunities.
In an effort to highlight research opportunities and bridge the gap between academia and practice, special sessions with guest speakers will be devoted to business development, B2B professional selling, sales management, and sales education challenges. For more information about GSSI Conference, please contact the Conference Co-Chairs.
“Disrupting the Sales Force: Technology, Globalization, and the Changing Nature of Work”
Between AI, VR/AR, the gig economy, and a host of other factors, the 2020 GSSI will focus on how the traditional sales force is facing rapid change and disruption.
Topics of interest to addition to the specific theme of the 2020 GSSI Conference, include:
Sales management, sales leadership, organizational enablers
Including but not limited to:
- Leading, managing, motivating, coaching the sales force in disruptive environments
- Cross cultural comparisons on sales management and sales leadership
- Managing and leading virtual sales teams in rapidly-changing environments
- Managing and enhancing salespeople’s job satisfaction and subjective well-being
- Managing and leading different generations of salespeople
- Sales 3.0 technologies and emerging trends
- Sales and marketing alignment
- Role of tech-based marketing and data-driven marketing in enabling the sales process, and sales performance
- Leveraging information technology (e.g., CRM, social media, mobile marketing)
- Cross cultural comparisons on how technology affects sales efficiency and effectiveness
- Effective training and development of sales managers and salespeople
Professional selling, buyer-seller interactions
Including but not limited to:
- B2B selling
- Customer relationship management
- Customer engagement and retention
- Relationship building
- Key account management
- Sales negotiations
- Comparison, assessment of selling techniques and strategies
- Differentiation through selling sustainable products and value propositions
- Adapting selling style to customer’s buying process
- Social selling
- Challenges in co-creating cost-effective value propositions
- Cross cultural comparisons on buyer-seller interactions and co-creation process
Please note that a special issue of Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing will be attached to this conference.
Competitive Paper Submissions
The conference welcomes both empirical and theoretical papers related to all aspects of professional selling, sales negotiation, sales management, and marketing and sales interface. Papers, which connect science with practice, and those which explore interesting new concepts, directions and important developments in sales are especially encouraged.
It is mandatory that at least one author of all accepted papers registers for and presents the paper at the conference. Competitive papers are reviewed following a double-blind process.
There will be awards for the Best Pape and the best doctoral student paper
The conference will offer special sessions devoted to bridging the gap between sales research and practice. Special sessions provide a good vehicle to acquaint sales academics with new perspectives, theories, and provocative ideas, to bring diverse participants together around a common theme, or to integrate academically-minded practitioners into the conference.
Doctoral Student Sales Research Program
There will be a special competitive session for doctoral student papers (empirical or conceptual) related to any selling and/or sales management issue. Submitted papers must be authored by doctoral students (single or multiple authors are acceptable) who are candidates for degrees in marketing or a closely related field at an accredited university.
Competitive Papers, Doctoral Student Papers and Special Session Proposals should be submitted electronically to Jeff Tanner (firstname.lastname@example.org) following the submission guidelines below.
Publication of the proceedings
The GSSI will publish the contributions in form of abstracts, papers and presentations. A ISSN number will be obtained. To this end, please fill the publication agreement attached.
We look forward to your submissions and to seeing you in Montpellier!
Conference Co-Chair: Professor John F. (Jeff) Tanner Jr., PhD
Old Dominion University
Thurmond Negotiation Lab, Strome College of Business
Phone: +1 757 683 3535
Conference Co-Chair: Professor Christophe Fournier
University School of Management,
Montpellier Recherche Management, Montpellier University France
Submission Guidelines for Empirical, Theoretical, Doctoral Student Papers and Special Session Proposals
A max ten page abstract of your research, including the main research question(s), theoretical framework, methods/results (wherever applicable), and discussion sections should be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format to Jeff Tanner (email@example.com) no later than Wednesday, January 10th:
Please submit 2 files. The first file should contain the complete manuscript including author information (names, affiliation, address, phone, fax, and email). The second file should contain the complete abstract without author information. When you save the files, include FULL in the filename for the one with author information and BLIND in the filename for the one without author information.
Papers will be reviewed using a double-blind review process. Authors should avoid revealing their identities in the bodies of the papers. Manuscripts must include a single-spaced abstract not exceeding 100 words. The body of the paper should adhere to all the manuscript submission guidelines of the Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management. Maximum length is 10 pages, including tables, exhibits, and references. Submissions that exceed the above guidelines will be immediately returned to the author for appropriate editing.
Each submission will be evaluated on the importance and potential contribution of the sales topic, quality of conceptual development, sampling, methodology, and the managerial relevance of the results.
Final versions of accepted papers will be due to the proceedings editor by February 28th, 2018 in order to be published in the conference proceedings. Publication in the conference proceedings is optional. Hence, authors should state if
- The short abstract (100 words)
- the 10 page abstract (containing the short abstract)
- the 10 page abstract plus presentation
shall be published OR
- the contribution should not be published at all.
Authors need to fill and sign the publication agreement at the end of the CFP
To be considered for presentation at the conference and publication in the proceedings, a paper or a similar version of it must NOT:
- have been previously published,
- have been accepted for publication elsewhere,
- be under consideration or review for publication elsewhere.
You may submit for presentation a paper that has been presented previously, unless it has been published in a proceedings.
At least one author of an accepted paper must:
- appear at the conference to present the paper,
- return by the deadline a properly final formatted version of the paper (formatting instructions will be provided to the authors of accepted papers) to the proceedings editor for publication in the proceedings as an extended abstract (10 pages) or as a short abstract (100 words)
- register for the conference by the conference registration deadline.
Please download and sign the publication agreement on the next page and submit it with the paper!